Invisalign After Retirement: Why It’s Never Too Late
While braces are typically associated with children and teenagers, it’s becoming more and more common to see adults achieving the straight smile they’ve always wished they had. If you are over 50 and are interested in getting a straighter, healthier smile, Invisalign may be the ideal option for you.
Invisalign Works At Any Age
With the right treatment option, you can straighten your teeth at any age. Many adults believe that they are beyond the age where orthodontic treatment is effective because their teeth are fully set in their jaws and can no longer move. In truth, as you put pressure on teeth of any age, they will slowly, but surely, start to move.
Whether you have relatively straight teeth already and want to correct a few minor imperfections, or if all of your teeth are misaligned, Invisalign can help. The most common alignment issues Invisalign can be used to treat, include:
- Gapped teeth
- An overbite where the upper teeth protrude out over the lower teeth
- An open bite where the teeth are not aligned properly
- General misalignment
Braces After 50: Not Just Cosmetic
As our bodies age, your teeth also move and change and frequently suffer from wear and tear. Gradual bone loss in the jaw can push teeth inwards, crowding them, and sometimes affecting the way we speak or chew. Crooked teeth with poor alignment aren’t just cosmetic concerns. Increased gum and bone loss, tooth decay, erosion of tooth enamel, headaches, and jaw joint pain are just some of the potential concerns your dentist may have as your teeth and jaw continues to age.
While many older patients choose to embark on orthodontic treatment to improve the look of their smile, many find themselves looking into Invisalign as a way to improve their oral health. Orthodontic treatment is the most effective way to put an end to dental discomforts. Crowded and crooked teeth are harder to clean, causing more dental plaque to form. This can increase inflammation throughout the mouth and beyond. The best way to reduce inflammation and the bacterial count in the mouth is by having healthier positioned teeth and jaw structures.
Calculating Invisalign Cost For Seniors
The cost of orthodontic treatment for adults varies widely; however, it is typically within the range of $3,000 to $8,000. Prior to beginning treatment, it’s wise to check with your dental plan to see if orthodontic treatment, including the option for Invisalign, is covered. Many orthodontists and dental offices also offer different payment plans to make treatment more affordable.
Two essential factors determine the cost of Invisalign:
- The extent of alignment that your teeth require
- The number of aligners that you will need to complete your treatment
Protecting Your Investment
If you’re ready to straighten your smile with Invisalign, it’s recommended to take note of the following to make the most of your investment:
- You must wear your aligners for the complete duration of two-weeks before switching to your next set of aligners. Your teeth will move into position within the first few days of wearing them. The next two-week period will allow the bone to shore up the tooth root in the new position. Avoiding this period will cause the teeth to become loose and fall out.
- You must wear aligners for 22 hours per day, except for while eating and practicing dental hygiene, including brushing and flossing. This will ensure that your treatment plan stays on track.
- The saliva in the mouth contains essential minerals that fight bacteria. However, with the aligners present on your teeth, these minerals won’t be providing your teeth with the minerals they need to wash away potentially harmful food debris and sugars. This is why you must remove your aligners and brush and floss after every meal to maintain oral health.
Straightening Your Smile At Any Age
Orthodontic treatment can dramatically improve the quality of your daily life. Don’t let age trick you into believing that it’s too late to straighten your smile. Schedule a consultation appointment with Cherrywood Dental Associates to learn more about how Invisalign can boost your confidence and your overall health.
Request An Appointment
Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist
Dr. Barzgar was very professional and gentle. When I first came to his office to see Dr. Barzgar I had a major trust issue between dentist and patient from my past experiences. Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist, whose priority is making sure his...