How Powerful Is Your Smile? Our Favorite Smiles Throughout History
A person’s smile has a powerful impact on first impressions, how you’re perceived, how you feel, and even how you’re remembered. In fact, a smile can be remembered for ages. Unlike treasured people of the past, today’s cosmetic dentistry world provides a wide array of innovative opportunities to help you improve your smile, to help you be remembered for that beautiful grin. Let’s take a look at some of the most memorable and unforgettable smiles throughout history and how you can use cosmetic dentistry to maximize the impact of your smile.
The Power of a Smile
Though many may not like to admit it, your smile can have an impact on a variety of things. It is one of the first things people see and one of the most memorable features of a person. A person’s smile is also a reflection of complex, personal feelings. Your smile can reflect emotions you are feeling, such as happiness, pain, discomfort, fear, and love.
A smile, much like other gestures and expressions, has become a learned habit for humans. Though smiles can come naturally from laughter and happiness, smiles are also an expectation considered a “social norm.” For instance, it is considered normal to smile when meeting someone or interviewing for a job, even though it may not reflect any happiness on your part.
In some of the world’s earliest photographs, as another example, most people posed without smiles. In today’s photographs, the expectation for showing your happiness through a smile is considered the norm. This may also link to the improvement we’ve seen of medical and dental care over time to provide better smiles as well.
Smiles Throughout Art
As touched on above, the cultural and societal norms of our time help dictate that we smile in photographs, videos, etc. But throughout history, the norm was quite the opposite. Smiles, in fact, were largely frowned upon and not often seen in traditional art and portraits. But this may also be one of the reasons why we remember certain art pieces and their smiles in particular. Some of the most memorable smiles seen in art include:
- Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci: For a woman who doesn’t even show her teeth, her small, enigmatic grin is one of the most memorable throughout history. The smile you see in Mona Lisa has attracted, and confused, people for hundreds of years.
- Buddha: As the largest symbol and center of Buddhism, even those not familiar with the religion know Buddha for his smile. As a representation of peace, enlightenment, and love, Buddha is seen smiling in every piece of art depicting him. This happy depiction has made him a welcome piece of art in homes all over the world.
- Marilyn Monroe by Andy Warhol: Andy Warhol is one of the most remembered artists in the modern age. His well-known “pop” art changed the art industry, working with simple, but spectacular muses. Marilyn Monroe became one of these muses, and as one of the most beautiful women in the world, he captured her perfectly. Alongside bright colors, Marilyn’s smile reflects her personality, as well as her impact on society.
Smiles Throughout the Entertainment World
Whether it’s literature, film, or music, there are many people and characters that have made their way into our hearts with a simple smile. Beautiful, scary, or otherwise, here are some of the best smiles in entertainment:
- The Cheshire Cat: Kids and adults alike can recognize the smile of the Cheshire Cat. The amazing Alice in Wonderland has been made into a variety of movie and TV adaptations, but that silly cat’s smile always stays the same.
- The Joker: It doesn’t matter what actor plays this character since the Joker has been around since his debut in the Batman comics in 1940. It’s hard to forget his unique, sinister, and wide smile; making him one of the most popular characters/villains in the entire franchise.
- Frank Sinatra: Still regarded as one of the best singers and entertainers of all time, Sinatra captured people everywhere with his captivating voice, ice-blue eyes, and a warm, welcoming smile.
- Grace Kelly: This woman was iconic for more than her brilliant, beautiful smile. Though she was already well known for her beauty and talent, the American entertainer became part of her own, real-life “Cinderella” story, marrying the Prince of Monaco in 1956.
- Marlon Brando: With more of a bad-boy-but-still-sweet smile, Brando made his way into the hearts of millions of women across the globe. Even today, his carefree, majestic smile is remembered and revered.
Though these celebrities and entertainers have not been around for as long as some of the others you’ll find on this list, they are still noted and remembered for their beautiful smiles- sure to be remembered for years to come:
- Julia Roberts
- Chris Pine
- Anne Hathaway
- James Franco
- Eva Mendes
- Patrick Dempsey
- Angelina Jolie
- Mila Kunis
Cosmetic Dentistry Today
Today’s dental industry is about more than just preventing serious issues and providing care for your oral health. Cosmetic dentistry today strives to do more than focus on the health of your smile, but also the appearance and the impact your smile has on your life.
Teeth whitening is a simple, yet effective procedure that helps whiten and brighten your teeth, with the help of a dental professional either in the office or at home. Other realistic options for correcting a smile like veneers and bonding provide life-like beauty to your smile while fixing any problems with your teeth at the same time. Highly customizable, these cosmetic options can perfect any smile, while more subtle options for straightening your teeth, like Invisalign, can provide comfort and simplicity to straightening and correcting any smile.
At Cherrywood Dental, we know the importance of a great smile. Our trusted professionals offer an array of cosmetic dentistry services to help keep your smile healthy and beautiful. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment or consultation for a free digital smile makeover. Come see what our team at Cherrywood Dental can do for you.
Request An Appointment
Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist
Dr. Barzgar was very professional and gentle. When I first came to his office to see Dr. Barzgar I had a major trust issue between dentist and patient from my past experiences. Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist, whose priority is making sure his...