Are You Suffering From Dry Mouth?
Many people aren’t sure if they are really suffering from dry mouth, or if they are just abnormally thirsty. Dry mouth is a common issue that can be resolved with some simple steps.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
There are multiple possible causes of dry mouth. Figuring out what is causing it is the first step in determining a treatment plan.
Common causes of dry mouth include:
- Prescription medication. Dry mouth is a side effect of many commonly prescribed medicines.
- Medical conditions such as diabetes and cystic fibrosis.
- Lifestyle choices such as tobacco or alcohol use.
- Changes in lifestyle such as pregnancy, menopause, and anxiety.
What Can I Do to Minimize Dry Mouth?
You will need to be sure you are eliminating the possible causes as much as you can. This includes lifestyle changes and also seeking help from a professional.
Some simple ways to reduce dry mouth are:
- Staying hydrated. Drinking enough water is important to your overall health and will reduce your symptoms.
- Chewing sugar-free gum. This may help keep your mouth naturally moist.
- Rinsing your mouth with an over-the-counter symptom-relieving mouthwash. These are specially formulated to help reduce the symptoms of dry mouth.
When Should I Seek Professional Help?
If you have tried to change the lifestyle factors that could cause dry mouth but still do not have any relief, you should contact a professional. A professional will be able to help you determine the root cause of your symptoms. Once the cause is diagnosed by your dentist, it can be treated in order to give you relief from symptoms.
If you are suffering from dry mouth with no relief, we understand your frustration. Our team at Cherrywood Dental Associates has over 18 years of dental experience and is here to help you with all of your dental needs.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment and begin your path to relief.
Request An Appointment
Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist
Dr. Barzgar was very professional and gentle. When I first came to his office to see Dr. Barzgar I had a major trust issue between dentist and patient from my past experiences. Dr. Barzgar is an excellent dentist, whose priority is making sure his...